Chicken with peas (Pollo con i piselli)
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 4 Chicken thighs
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Potato (sliced – about 3 mm thick)
- 300 grams (11 oz) Peas (I usually use frozen peas)
- 250 grams (9 oz) Chopped tomatoes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 15 ml (1 tbs) Tomato purèe
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) Extra virgin olive oil
- 450 ml (3/4 pint) Vegetable or chicken stock (hot)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Put the olive oil into a casserole and sets to medium heat. Add the onion and sweat off for a couple of minutes.
- Then, add the chicken to the pan.
- Be sure to have a large pan so it can accommodate the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, turn the chicken over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Our aim is to turn the chicken thighs golden.
- Then, before adding the peas (especially if the are frozen) turn the heat to high and after about a minute add all the peas.
- With a wooden spoon set the peas evenly around the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then, turn the heat to medium and add the chopped tomatoes.
- With a wooden spoon move things around a bit, so that the chopped tomatoes are evenly distributed and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Then, add all your stock. The stock should be enough to nearly cover the chicken.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Season with salt according to your taste.
- Season with black pepper according to your taste.
- Add the potato slices. If the slices are too big, half them.
- This is what you should have at this stage.
- We add just a bit of tomato purèe as flavour enhancer.
- We take the lid and cover the pan, but not completely.
- Leave a small opening on one side. Now, turn down the heat to low and simmer for 40-50 minutes. During this time turn the chicken twice.
- Simmering will cook the chicken to perfection and will also help to reduce the sauce. After 50 minutes you should have what is featured in the picture.
- Serve accompanied with few slices of warm country bread or, ideally, with Italian polenta.