Roe Linguine (Linguine alla bottarga)
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 400 grams (14 oz) Squid ink linguine pasta (alternatively use plain linguine)
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove
- 115 grams (4 oz) Tuna roe or mullet roe (alternatively cod roe)
- A handful of flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
- Ground black pepper for seasoning
- First and foremost, we need to grate the cod roe, like grating a piece of Parmesan cheese.
- Next, boil the linguine pasta and while it is boiling, you can proceed with the sauce preparation.
- Put the olive oil into the pan, heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic, cut in slices.
- Sweat the garlic off until it turns golden in colour, then remove it from the pan and discard it.
- Next, move the pan away from the heat and leave the oil to cool down for a minute or so.
- Then, add 2/3 of the grated cod roe into the pan.
- Give it a good stir.
- Add 2/3 of the parsley into the pan.
- Season with black pepper.
- Finally, add a couple of spoonfuls of the boiling water you are using to boil your pasta.
- Stir to make a creamy mix.
- Now, your sauce is ready. Wait for the pasta to be perfectly cooked al dente.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, just before draining it, put the pan containing the sauce over the heat again (high heat).
- Drain the pasta, but leave the pasta slightly wet.
- Add the pasta into the sauce pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining grated cod roe.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and stir well for a minute.
- Serve the pasta alla bottarga straightaway and have a nice glass of white wine. Please, do not add Parmesan cheese, or any other cheese; you would spoil the whole dish.