Spaghetti with pecorino and black pepper (Spaghetti cacio e pepe)
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 400 grams (14 oz) Spaghetti
- 150 grams (5 oz) Pecorino romano cheese (freshly grated)
- 10 grams (1/3 oz) Black pepper (roughly crushed)
- Freshly grated Pecorino romano cheese.
- I like to crush the pepper grains with a bottle.
- And this is all you need!
- Pour the cheese into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with all the crushed pepper you have prepared.
- Mix the cheese with the pepper.
- The pepper is evenly distributed.
- Drain the spaghetti but remember to leave some water (the spaghetti should look visibly wet). I normally drain the spaghetti into a large pan and keep some of the boiling water in case I need it a later stage.
- Put the spaghetti into the large bowl where you have previously put the cheese and the pepper.
- Stir energetically in order to coat all the spaghetti. At this stage, the cheese should melt in contact with the hot spaghetti and the water you left in the spaghetti will help to create a lovely creamy coating.
- If you think the spaghetti coating is becoming too dry, you can add a half ladle of the water you saved before.When you prepare this dish, be sure your guests are ready around the table so you can serve it immediately. Another tip is to preheat the plates; this will help the spaghetti to remain hot.If you are not very fast and you do not want to compromise the dish, sometimes you can add a knob of butter. This will help to keep the spaghetti moist.