Caper and anchovy sauce (grilled fish)
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 4 Large tuna steaks Despite the picture above featuring only 2 tuna steaks, the ingredients will make enough sauce to top 4 large tuna steaks.
- 100 ml (4 fl oz) Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon zest from one small lemon (finely chopped)
- 40 grams (1 1/2 oz) Capers (finely chopped) Capers are usually preserved in vinegar or salt so, before chopping them, rinse the capers under fresh running water and then pat them dry using kitchen paper.
- 3 grams (1/2 tsp) French mustard
- 10 grams (1 tbs) Anchovy paste
- 10 ml (a bit less than 1/2 fl oz) Lemon juice
- Salt for seasoning
- Pour the olive oil into a small glass bowl.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Add the capers.
- Add the mustard.
- Add the anchovy paste.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Finally, add the salt according to taste.
- Next, take a small pan and fill it half way with boiling water. Now, set the heat to low and simmer the water (not boiling).
- Put the glass bowl, containing all the ingredients, over the pan (the bowl should not touch the water) and cook bain Marie for about 5 minutes. While cooking, gently stir with a spoon. This technique allows the ingredients to blend together without subjecting the sauce to excessive heat. After 5 minutes turn the heat off and leave the bowl on the pan, to keep the sauce warm.
- Next, brush the tuna steaks with olive oil.
- Put the grill pan over the heat for 5 minutes so it will be very hot and ready for the steaks.
- Then, put the tuna steaks onto the grill pan.
- I like the tuna steaks cooked rare so I usually cook them for 2 minutes on each side, but this is just my personal choice. If you want the steaks cooked medium, you will probably need 3-4 minutes on each side.
- These are the steaks turned after 2 minutes cooking on one side.
- Finally, cover each of the steaks with some of the caper and anchovy sauce you have prepared.