Bread and egg soup (Zuppa alla Pavese)
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 2 Eggs Eggs must be absolutely fresh (ideally use free range organic eggs).
- 1 Large slice of bread In the past, stale bread was used for this recipe. Use whatever bread you want but a home made loaf of countryside bread is the best bet!
- 1 Beef stock cube (to be dissolved in 3/4 pint – 1 3/4 cups of boiling water)
- Enough Parmesan cheese (grated) for a generous sprinkle
- A generous knob of butter
- An oven proof dish to contain the soup
- Before we start, put your oven proof dish in the oven because we need it hot for a later stage (you can set the oven to the minimum, but I recommend the use of oven gloves when it is time to take the dish out of the oven). Next, cut a slice of bread.
- Remove the hard crust and cut the big slice in two parts.
- Prepare the stock, dissolving the stock cube in 3/4 pint of boiling water.
- Now, take a shallow pan (a frying pan will do the job) and melt the butter.
- Fry the bread until both the sides are golden brown.
- This is the kind of colour we have to achieve.
- Once the bread is ready, take the oven proof dish out of the oven.
- Put the bread inside the dish, pressing it down so that it stays on the bottom of the dish.
- Break the eggs over the bread.
- Now, a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- The dish is ready for the adding of the stock. The stock must be boiling hot (not simmering) so raise the heat before adding it into the dish.
- We add the stock to cover. The heat of the stock will partially cook the eggs. You can cover the dish with a plate and leave the dish alone for one minute or two, then you can serve the dish.
- With this soup the eggs will never be thoroughly cooked, but this is it and I cannot change the tradition. However, if you are serving the soup to children or old people, you may consider poaching the eggs before laying them onto the bread; then you add the stock. Alternatively, before adding the stock, you can pass the dish under a grill, in order to cook the eggs, but you need to be careful not to burn the bread. Try it and find the solution that best suits you.Feel free to add some ground black pepper if you wish.