Onion Frittata (Frittata con cipolle)
This is a quick recipe to make frittata. A Frittata is eggs mixed with anything you like! It does not have to complicated; just use one or two vegetables or something leftover from the previous lunch/dinner. In my case I love to have my frittata with onion only.
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 3-4 Eggs (dependent on the size of your frying pan)
- A couple of medium size onions (or one big onion)
- A splash of olive oil (a generous splash)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Slice the onions, about 3 mm (1/8") thick.
- Put the eggs in a little bowl, season with salt and pepper and beat vigorously for few seconds, using a fork.
- Add some olive oil into a frying pan (possibly non-stick pan).
- When the oil is hot, add the onion slices into the pan and shallow-fry until the bottom side of the slices goes a nice golden colour.
- Then, turn the slices and colour the other side. If you have put too much oil, at this stage you can still remove the excess oil with a spoon.
- Next, add the eggs into the pan.
- Gently shake the pan so that the egg mixture is evenly distributed around the pan and coat all the onion slices. Cook the bottom of the frittata for a couple a minutes or so, then, we need to firm the top side, which still shows some runny eggs.
- The best way to firm the top side of the frittata is to put under a broiler for few seconds (40-60 seconds should be enough).
- I need the top side slightly dry so that I can turn the frittata by flipping it. Technically speaking, you don’t need to flip the frittata; you can finish it under the broiler or in the oven. but I love flipping it!
- One, two, three….the frittata is in the sky.
- And here it lands back in the pan topside down.
- Cook for another minute, so that you are sure the bottom side of the frittata gets a nice colour. Then, shove it into a plate or onto a greaseproof paper as I did. Slice it and enjoy it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!