Asparagus with eggs (Asparagi con le uova)
An easy way to serve asparagus, which is so good and underestimated by many people. It is a quick to prepare recipe that I use when I am in a hurry. Complete this dish with a good slice of country bread.
Clicking on equipment pictures takes you to Amazon where you can buy the items. We get a small revenue share of anything you buy which helps keep the site running.
- 20 Asparagus (10 per person)
- 2 Large eggs (1 per person) – if possible, try to use fresh organic or free-range eggs
- 1 Knob of butter
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- First, we need to prepare the asparagus. If the asparagus have been hanging around for a while (few days from they have been picked), I suggest you pare the lower part of the stalk, which is usually hard.
- A potato peeler is ideal for this operation.
- Also, cut off the bottom (about 2 cm – 3/4") of the stalk, which is usually a bit woody.
- Now, what we need is boiling water (slightly salted) so take a pan large enough to contain all your asparagus, add water, salt and bring the water to the boil (an alternative way of cooking the asparagus is to use a steamer).
- When the water is boiling, put all your asparagus into it.
- When the asparagus are ready, remove them from the pan using a slotted spoon. Boiling time depends on the asparagus size. In this recipe I boiled the asparagus for 5 minutes. Anyway, boil the asparagus until tender. You can use a fork to test them, if the fork pass through them easily, this means they are ready.
- 2-3 minutes before the asparagus are ready, start cooking your eggs. Put few drops of olive oil in the frying pan.
- With kitchen paper, brush the oil all over the pan surface to create a very thin coat. Alternatively, you can brush with butter or lard if you prefer, but always remember not to exaggerate with these fats (just a thin coat).
- Cook your eggs over a medium heat. The eggs yolk should still be a bit soft.
- Melt the butter, but do not let it to become brown.
- The butter is ready.
- Meanwhile, you have put your asparagus onto a plate and covered with the egg. Pour some melted butter over the whole thing, but watch not to overdo the butter otherwise the dish would be too rich.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!